Completing the vehicle transfer of ownership is correctly is very important when you buy or sell a car in Spain. If the transfer is not done, or not done properly, the seller of the vehicle could end up responsible for ongoing costs on the vehicle – taxes and fines, and/or the buyer could end up having to pay costs left unpaid by the previous owner.
You can complete the vehicle transfer of ownership yourself at the DGT (Direcion General de Trafico), ‘trafico’ offices, and to do so, in addition to your buyers documents you need the following:
- The sellers documents
- Completed vehicle transfer of ownership application form from Trafico (DGT) office,signed by the seller
- Receipt of paid municipal tax
- Receipt of vehicle transfer tax paid to Hacienda office.
- A photocopy of the Ficha Tecnica with in date ITV (Inspección Tecnica de Vehiculos) stamp.
- Original Permiso de Circulacion
- The fee, (approx €40)
- A stamped addressed envelope (if you want the new car document posted to you)
- A full morning, basic Spanish and lots of patience
Many people use a Gestoria to manage the transfer of ownership and whilst they do usually get the job done, they are often slow with little concept of customer service. So if you do go to one, don’t expect efficiency and do expect to have to do some chasing.
If you need a hand with a vehicle change of ownership, we’ll be glad to help. Come in and see us, or give us a call on (+34) 951 77 55 44 / (+44) 033 0001 0777.
Click here to find out more about our vehicle change of ownership service.